script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">
Think you know it all when it comes to Dad’s Army? Do you know these five interesting facts:
- There was a character who appeared in the very first episode called Private Thomas Bracewell, and who was played by John Ringham. The writers initially intended Bracewell to be another regular character in the series (along with the likes of Jones, Mainwaring etc). However, thewriters came to feel that they in fact had too many characters, and that he was too similar to Godfrey in terms of personality, so a decision was made to axe Bracewell from the show. He was only mentioned again once in the following episode – Season 1 episode 2. You can learn more about Private Bracewell here.
- Originally, The Deadly Attachment episode had Captain Mainwaring stuck with a grenade down his trousers. However, Arthur Lowe refused, considering it too personal, and the recipient of the device famously became Clive Dunn as Corporal Jones. Arthur Lowe was known for his refusal to appear in virtually any state of undress on the show.
- In the final-ever episode of Dad’s Army, Never Too Old, Mrs. Fox’s first name is given as Mildred; however in earlier episodes she is named as Marcia.
- Mainwaring, Wilson and Pike work at Swallow Bank in the TV series of Dad’s Army, but in the film adaptation it is called Martins. There were a number of other minor but noticeable “continuity changes” in the film version.
- The nearby (and equally fictional) town of Eastgate was named after Eastbourne in East Sussex.
- Whilst a precise location for Walmington-on-Sea is never given at any stage during the show’s history, it is a commonly known fact that the fictional town is set on the south coast, and in the 1971 film version of the series, the local police station is signposted as part of the Kent Constabulary.
- For Series 9, David Croft directed pre-filmed location scenes, with Bob Spiers taking over in the studio segments for Episodes 1 to 5. Croft took over again for the final programme.
Want to learn even more about the show? Make sure you check out these 25 bits of Dad’s Army trivia – there are some real rarities in there!